Winter 2023 Purdue I-Corps: Discovery and Discovery+
February 17, 2023 @ 12:00 pm - April 7, 2023 @ 2:00 pm ESTFree
These online workshops will help you explore the commercial viability of your deep tech innovation idea/IP. We teach the Lean LaunchPad approach, a process to help you systematically test key assumptions about your technology and the customer problems it might be able to solve better than current alternatives. This assessment of “technology-problem fit” is the critical first step toward commercial success for any technology venture.
The learning objectives of the Discovery program are:
- Develop familiarity with Lean LaunchPad concepts and tools such as customer discovery, ecosystem mapping, and the Business Model Canvas
- Understand customers’ problems (“pain points”) from THEIR perspective
- Map your customer ecosystem to understand customer roles, requirements, and decision processes
- Build connections to the commercial ecosystem (i.e., customers, suppliers, etc.) for your innovation
After completion of the Discovery program, researchers who are interested in applying for PFI-TT and/or SBIR (before participating in the National NSF I-Corps Teams program) are strongly encouraged to continue onto Discovery+.
The learning objectives of the Discovery+ program are:
- Explore the size of your potential market, assess the competition, and identify a first target market (beachhead)
- Develop a commercialization roadmap identifying key milestones and required resources to move your idea forward
- Learn about various NSF-funded commercialization grants and their application process
- Become eligible for the National NSF I-Corps Teams program and $50,000 grant for qualifying technologies and teams
- Increase chances of commercialization grants such as SBIR/STTR, PFI-TT, etc. ($250K-$2M)
- Gain valuable market insight to inform the next steps for your idea
- Develop network connections and receive mentoring from experienced industry experts and entrepreneurs
- Develop an entrepreneurial mindset and toolset needed for conducting use-inspired research and roles in industry, startups, or government
- Feb 17: Getting Started
- Feb 24: Customer Discovery
- March 10: Product-Market Fit
- March 24: Next steps
- March 31: Market Sizing and Commercialization pathway
- April 7: Applying for commercialization grants (PFI-TT/RP, SBIR)
In between the formal course sessions, you will conduct 20-30 customer discovery interviews (during Discovery), complete online learning assignments, apply the tools to your own tech, and receive feedback and coaching from a team of experienced instructors/mentors.
Please fill out the program application below and you will be contacted regarding acceptance. Contact Geetali Pradhan, email@example.com, with questions.