Winter 2023 Medical Jumpstart I-Corps Course
February 3, 2023 @ 9:00 am - March 24, 2023 @ 11:00 am ESTFree
This online workshop will help you explore the commercial viability of your medical or healthcare-based innovation idea/IP. We teach the Lean LaunchPad approach (also called Lean Startup), a process to help you systematically test key assumptions about your technology and the customer problems it might be able to solve better than current alternatives. This assessment of “technology-problem fit” is the critical first step toward commercial success for any technology venture. The learning objectives are:
- Develop familiarity with Lean LaunchPad concepts and tools such as customer discovery, ecosystem mapping, and the Business Model Canvas
- Understand customers’ problems (“pain points”) from THEIR perspective
- Map your customer ecosystem to understand customer roles, requirements, and decision processes
- Build connections to the commercial ecosystem (i.e. customers, suppliers, funders) for your innovation
- Explore the size of your potential market, assess the competition, and identify a first target market
- Develop a commercialization roadmap identifying key milestones and required resources to move your idea forward
This course is for faculty, researchers, and students with medical or healthcare-based ideas or Intellectual Property and a strong interest in commercializing their technology.
- Receive up to $1000 in funding for customer discovery-related expenses including but not limited to virtual conference fees and premium LinkedIn accounts (NSF qualifying teams only)
- Gain valuable market insight to inform the next steps in your research and/or development
- Become eligible for the NSF I-Corps National Teams program and $50,000 grant for qualifying technologies and teams
- Get prepared for application to SBIR/STTR or other commercialization grants
- Develop network connections and receive mentoring from experienced industry experts and entrepreneurs
- Develop the entrepreneurial mindset and toolset needed for a career in academia, industry, startups, or government
All course events occur on Fridays from 9:00-11:00AM ET (8:00-10:00AM CT)
- Feb 3: Course Orientation
- Feb 10: Product-Market Fit
- Feb 24: Customer Discovery
- Mar 10: Market Assessment
- Mar 24: Commercialization Pathway
In between the formal course sessions, you will conduct 20-30 customer discovery interviews, complete online learning assignments, apply the tools to your own tech, and receive feedback and coaching from a team of experienced instructors/mentors.
This hands-on program takes work – 8-10 hours/week throughout the course. In addition to the course deliverables, you are expected to “get out of the building” (virtually or physically, if safe) to interview and observe 30 customers and stakeholders. Direct market interaction is vital to fine-tuning your value proposition, commercialization pathway, and business model design assumptions.
Please fill out the program application below and you will be contacted regarding acceptance. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.