Summer 2023 STEM Jumpstart Regional I-Corps Course
May 12 @ 12:00 pm - June 30 @ 2:00 pm EDTFree
This online course will help you explore the commercial viability of your STEM-based innovation idea. The Lean LaunchPad approach (also called Lean Startup) is a process to help you systematically test key assumptions about your technology and the customer problems it might be able to solve better than current alternatives. This assessment of “technology-problem fit” is the critical first step toward commercial success for any technology venture.
- Develop familiarity with Lean LaunchPad concepts and tools such as customer discovery, value proposition design, and business model canvas
- Understand customers’ problems (“pain points”) from THEIR perspective
- Map your customer ecosystem to understand customer roles, requirements, and decision processes
- Identify modifications to your technology assumptions required to achieve product-market fit
- Build connections to the commercial ecosystem (i.e. customers, suppliers, funders) for your innovation
- Explore the size of your potential market, assess the competition, and identify a first target market
- Develop a commercialization roadmap identifying key milestones and required resources to move your idea forward
- Become eligible for the NSF I-Corps National Teams program and $50,000 grant for qualifying technologies and teams (only deep-tech, university-based teams who complete at least 20-30 customer discovery interviews).
- Receive up to $1,000 in funding for customer discovery-related expenses including but not limited to conference fees, travel, and premium LinkedIn accounts.
- Prepare for applying to the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) or Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs.
- Gain valuable market insight to inform the next steps in your research and/or development.
- Develop network connections and receive mentoring from experienced industry experts and entrepreneurs
- Develop the entrepreneurial mindset and toolset needed for a career in academia, industry, startups, or government
This course is for faculty, researchers, and students with STEM-based ideas or Intellectual Property and a strong interest in commercializing their technology.
All course events occur on Fridays from 12:00-2:00PM ET (11:00AM-1:00PM CT):
- Friday, May 12 – Course Orientation
- Friday, May 19 – Product-Market Fit
- Friday, June 2 – Customer Discovery
- Friday, June 16 – Market Assessment
- Friday, June 30 – Commercialization Assessment
In between the formal course sessions, you will conduct 20-30 customer discovery interviews, complete online learning assignments, apply the tools to your own tech, and receive feedback and coaching from a team of experienced instructors/mentors.
Not sure if this program is the right fit for you? Contact us!
Please fill out the following application and you will be contacted within 2 business days regarding acceptance.